Tuesday, August 3, 2010

We ate out today....


First off - "Happy World Breastfeeding Week" (insert bells and whistles here)!!! Take a moment to celebrate the most perfect and nutritionally complete baby food in the world! It comes in pre-measured, pre-warmed, pre-sterilized form with lots of great antibodies, amino acids, vitamins, Love and much more!
We were in Nashville today during lunch, so we decided to eat out. Sometimes it's just not feasible to take an entire meal on the go. We are not anti-eating out, but we used to spend about $150 a week in addition to groceries! That's a significant and embarrassing amount of money to spend on fast, sub-standard and not so good food.So for us eating out once a week or every other week is a huge change!
We do try to to make good choices when we do eat out - we love Panera Bread! They make a lot of of their own breads and it's pretty tasty. I do try to stay away from their soups - granted they are delicious, but they come in a bag and I am sure filled with preservatives! So, for Matthew it was a Chicken Cesare and myself a Sierra Turkey. It was yummy and I love their chippies - potatoes, sea salt and sunflower oil - nice and simple.
We have decided to start buying our beef locally through Persimmon Creek Farms out of Cunningham. They were at the Clarksville Farmers Market one Saturday and I purchased two of their sirloins - they were delicious! I grilled them slowly and they came out soooo tender. Granted they are not the cheapest meats in the world - but at least they are not trucked 1,500 miles to our table. Plus they do not use hormones, antibiotics or animal by-products in feed. They are grass and hay feed and supplemented with natural grains. I placed a family order with them for delivery on Thursday - I can't wait to get some delicious local beef!
Later, when I finish the book I am reading (Real Food by Nina Planck http://www.ninaplanck.com/books.html), I will highlight a few of her points regarding industrial/factory meats to include beef, pork and poultry - it may change your mind on what is really in your cart! Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment