Monday, August 2, 2010

Success!!


YAY! My second batch of yogurt came out pretty decent - not quite as thick as I would like, but awesome on muesli! I think I will leave it in for the full 10 hours instead of 9 and see if that thickens it up a little. Plus I know that I can strain it to make it thicker - but all of this will take more practice, trial and error. The above picture is my homemade yogurt on muesli and frozen blueberries - yum!!
My first batch of sprouted grain bread came out great! I didn't start it until later in the evening, so my sweet husband generously stayed up to get it out of the maker for me (while playing the xBox - LOL!) He brought up a piece with butter to me in bed and it was better than I thought it would be!! It's a heavier bread, more for eating with something not so much for sandwich, but delicious. I got the recipe from another blog http://cookeatthink.blogspot.com and here it is below:
ingredients::
1 cup sprouted grains (I used a mix which included organic wheat, rye, barley, triticale, oats, spelt, kamut, quinoa, sesame, millet and amaranth)
about 1 c milk (see note in directions*)
1/2 c + 3 Tbsp water (tweaked)
3 c whole wheat flour (I used 2 cups wheat and 1 cup oatmeal flour)
2 Tbsp organic brown sugar (can also use honey, agave, etc.)
2 Tbsp softened butter
1 Tbsp softened coconut oil (you could also just use more butter)
2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast>>optional...2Tbsp vital wheat gluten
directions::
Blend sprouted grains in a food processor until they are a course meal. Measure 1 cup of the ground grains into a large cup measure. Leaving the grains in the cup, pour fresh room temp milk over the grains to the 1 cup mark* (This compensates for liquid present in fresh sprouted grains). Place this mix into the bread machine pan. Measure the 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp room temp water and add that into the bread machine also. Add the rest of the ingredients into the machine pan in the order your bread machine recommends. Select the wheat cycle and light crust.
It turned out great!! I have another batch in the machine right now and I added the gluten and substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour with buckwheat flour. I am hoping it will turn out nicely again. Last night's loaf "grew and popped" as Matthew said, so it's a little flat in the middle - see below (it is a half eaten loaf though). I am curious to see how this second loaf will turn out.
I used my dehydrated sprouted grains with this loaf and added some water to rehydrate them. Sounds a little redundant, but this way my sprouts will keep longer. One of us had to get up at 2 am to shut the dehydrator off since we were cheap and didn't order one with a shut off timer. So, we are going to get an appliance timer through Amazon for it. Having a dehydrator nice - it makes awesome beef jerky as well!
So - the bread was a WIN, the yogurt PASSED, the sprouts were a GO. Now, if I just had a bigger kitchen with even more storage I could get all kinds of things started - LOL! Until next time .....

No comments:

Post a Comment