Thursday, August 12, 2010

Local Meat Rocks!!




Have you ever taken a loooonnnngggg road trip and felt awful at the end? Imagine how much traveling your food does just to make it to your dinner table? How many folks have handle your chicken, vegetables, steaks, or fruits? Granted most of us wash our meats and veggies before we eat them - but they likely are kind of tired by the time they end up on fork!
I am not going to go into the horrors of chicken, beef or pork factory farms - you can look that up yourself. It really depends on who you want to believe and many folks end up vegetarians once they start really researching everything. But that's not my point - being a vegetarian or vegan has it's own issues and I am not a subject matter expert. I do know that meat is good for you though - it has tons of amino acids, fatty acids, and the good vitamins that our bodies and brains need. However, I really don't want to eat meat that has not been treated well, fed animal by products, hormones, antibiotics, and trucked thousands of miles. So, I have started buying my meat, eggs, milks, butter and chicken locally! It is more expensive? Yes, but so is eating out!
I purchased some sirloins from a vendor at the Clarksville Farmers Market one Saturday and they were awesome! More than what I would pay at the grocery store, but much better cooked on our grill! We loved Persimmon Creek Farms beef sooo much, that we ordered the family pack (pic above is of two NY strips from family pack) and have placed a deposit for a 1/4 of a steer cut in bulk! This should be enough beef to holds us for a year! Oh and did I mention that it was delicious?? Check them out at http://www.persimmoncreekfarms.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment