Saturday, August 7, 2010

Red Fish, Blue Fish, Good Fish!




Are you a fish eater?? I never was growing up unless you want to count the square fish I ate in the cafeteria in elementary school, but even then I avoided it like the plague! But what if my parents would have fed this really picky eater wholesome, delicious fish - primarily salmon? Would my eyes be better? Would I be smarter? Would I have better overall health?
Research suggest the consumption of salmon, which contains omega-3 fatty acids, is an important part of our diet that we have strayed from in our evolution as homosapiens. So what are the benefits of omega-3's? It can decrease platelet aggregation, preventing excessive blood clotting. Reduce inflammation throughout your body. Lower the amount of lipids (fats such as "bad" cholesterol and triglycerides) circulating in the bloodstream. Reduce the risk of becoming obese and improve the body's ability to respond to insulin by stimulating the secretion of leptin, a hormone that helps regulate food intake, body weight and metabolism, and is expressed primarily by adipocytes (fat cells). So overall, omega-3's help reduce depression, help prevent heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes!
So, why is this super food not flying onto our dinner tables and helping everyone's overall health? Because fish takes work! It's not cheap for a good piece of wild salmon (the kind that is best for us), it's not simple to cook (ie: the good stuff is not microwaved), and most Americans that do not eat fish are spoiled and picky. However, even I am learning to really love fish! I have purchased some frozen marinated salmon from Sam's Club before and while it's delicious, I am trying to lean towards whole un-preprocessed foods . So I purchased some salmon yesterday from the commissary that was caught from the wild, then I marinated it myself and pan grilled it. It was delicious! Matthew liked it and he is pretty picky himself about fish and fishy kind of dinners. Aidan loved it - she is a good eater and eats pretty much whatever I put on the table. And of course Thalia will benefit from it in so many ways! I think as apart of our whole foods lifestyle change, we are def going to be putting more fish into diets and other foods that are high in omega-3's. I sprinkle flax seed meal on our breakfast every morning and I do try to take a fish oil supplement - but it's also pretty cool to eat it at its source! It's a feel good brain food and I need all of that I can get!
So - give good delicious fish a try! It's how our ancestors grew such lovely, healthy, large functioning brains! Plus our brain is a large percent of fat and it needs good for you fats to continue to grow and work properly! So outsmart your body and enjoy some salmon!

1 comment:

  1. If you like trying new ways of cooking salmon, try it on the grill, tin foil down first for easy removal and marinate for about 30 minutes. Another fish that is big and fresh down here is flounder and it is very yummy and not overtly fishy in taste and texture. Tuna is good, expensive and hard to find but if you find it fresh you will never taste anything so delicious. Lime and cilantro make the best marinade for tuna btw. Good luck with your whole foods, we are trying the same thing and working on losing weight as well so enjoy the journey and come visit us in Alaska we will be there in February 2011....

    ReplyDelete