Thursday, September 23, 2010

Straight From The Source!!


Greeting my readers and followers! Sorry I have yet again been MIA from even weekly updates :( I have been busy, but somewhat productive!
Today, I went out to the Amish Country Pantry to get some more milk, butter, cheese and eggs. I got the first three items on my list, but they were out of eggs. So I asked if there was somewhere I could get them locally from a farm. The sweet Amish girl (young woman) picked up her land-line phone and called someone else to inquire about eggs for me. Well, it turned out that the farm had some available and I could pick them shortly! YAY for farm fresh eggs! So, I drove the mile down the road and picked them up from the farm. A sweet Mennonite girl hopped out of the tractor after I pulled up and had 2 dozen in hand for me - straight from the source! They weren't still warm - but still, I was able to buy them straight from the farm for $2 a dozen - a bargain at double the price in my opinion. And yes she accepted this silly woman's check for $4 - LOL!
I really wanted to take some pictures of their farm, but I didn't have my camera on me and I am sure I would look like an absolute city girl/tourist and a moron.... But they had a nice farm to include an entire pen of deer that they raise for breeding purposes and to repopulate parks as needed (I am sure this is a business venture). But she did stress to me that they did not raise those for fresh venison. I was a country girl that loved to hunt deer growing up, but I guess it would be like eating a pet, she even said so....
Anyway - yay for farm fresh eggs - not factory eggs laid by hens that don't even have a square foot of space :( Plus they are great tasting eggs and there is nothing like eating delicious, local, whole foods!
Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Take me with you next time! I went there once but I can't remember the way....

    ReplyDelete