Friday, July 30, 2010

Wait With Me....

While my barley, rye and wheat berries sprout! What are these odd berries I am talking about?? Well, I am still learning about them myself, but the sprouts of certain grains, beans, nuts and seeds are very nutritious. Sprouting not only neutralizes phytic acid, which blocks the absorption of many important minerals, but it increases the vitamin content. Here is a great source of information about sprouts and other whole/real foods http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/03/nourishing-practices-soaking-grains-2.html
I have never in my life had sprouts.... it's sad, but very true. But all of that is about to change! I am going about sprouts in a kind of non-green'ish food way by making into something a carb-addict can appreciate - bread!! I am sprouting barley, rye and wheat berries to make into ground flour for homemade bread. I am still researching my recipes, but I still have a bit of time since it takes about two and half days to get the desired length on my sprouts (1/8-1/4 inch).
Thus far, I have rinsed my grain berries (the rye and wheat berries were purchased from Whole Foods and the barley from the Amish Country Pantry). Now, they are soaking for 24 hours. I will then drain and rinse them and then allow them to sit in the jar without watering for 24-36 hours. From there I will rinse and put some of them in the food processor for bread making and the other portion in the dehydrator to use for later flour grinding.
Until they are ready, here is a rather boring picture of my grains soaking.... It will be a few days until I can have something of edible substance to show - (hopefully) delicious bread! Also a shout out to my friend Annette for hooking me up with a bread machine - hopefully it can handle what I will be putting in it!
Want to know how to sprout your own grains, beans and seeds?? I used this link for the info http://www.ehow.com/how_4620081_sprouted-wheat-flour-diastatic-malt.html I also picked up some new sprouting lids today! I will feature them in my next picture of my sprouts - I know you can't wait!! Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment